Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Blessed in the Wait

Sunsets.  One of my favorite things in this world, and I wanted to capture the moment to keep as the sun set over Lake Michigan.

So my husband and I made the trek up the dune by the lighthouse to pick a spot to watch the sun set, but as we crested the hill I noticed something that I couldn't see back at the house:  clouds met the water.  I wouldn't see the sun sink. 

I sat down anyway and hoped for the best.  We watched the clouds change, the sun tipping them with gold.  I appreciated the time with my husband . . . the stillness, except for the whispers of other viewers and the occasional giggle of a child as he chased a bird.  And in those were community.


But I was a bit disappointed as well.  I had hoped for spectacular colors and the moment when the sun seems to hang one last hello before its quick descent into the lake, as if it's too heavy to stay one more moment and the pull to see another part of the world too strong to linger longer.

So I told hubby we could leave.  And it was okay. 

We climbed back up and over the dune to the car.  As I slipped on my sandals, I glance back over my shoulder to see a winking of light.  Oh!  The lighthouse!



I snapped some shots as I watched the blinking of its message of light every few seconds.  I asked for another moment or two to watch, and as we did, the sky before us began to change.  I ran back up the hill to a breathtaking view. 



The sun had gone and left a gift.  A gift I almost missed because of my expectations and impatience

And immediately, I heard the whisper, "Wait."  And I was reminded:

"I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." ~ Psalm 130:5

"Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"  ~ Isaiah 30:18

"I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'" ~ Lamentations 3:24



And in the waiting come the gifts.  Gifts of Himself, of beauty. . . and the gift of knowing that in that moment in time He was reaching out and teaching and loving even me.

Wait.

For more Word-filled inspiration, visit Internet Cafe Devotions.

Share/Save/Bookmark

29 comments:

Beth in NC said...

The pictures are wonderful!!! I love to watch clouds and sunsets too! Thank you for sharing these gifts from God with us.

Love,
Beth

Amanda said...

Oh wow!!! What glorious photos! I love even the goldy, cloudy one. But the last one, well, it took my breath away!

I love your message and it truly uplifted me. Thank you, and bless you immensely.

You have a gorgeous blog.

Amanda,
www.amandassecretgarden.com

Bobbi said...

Wow...did you ever get some great shots! I love the last lighthouse one. Indeed, WAIT is one of the hardest lessons, eh? Smiles and love!!

Karen and Gerard said...

I am always reminded of God's beautiful handiwork when I see a sunrise or a sunset. Personally, I like sunrises better (guess because I'm a morning person and love that he gives us a brand new day to enjoy and glorify Him!

Maggie S said...

I read the Psalm and Isaiah passages this morning before I came to the computer because I was restlessly flipping around. Thanks for focusing my attention.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh that was beaufitul...both the pictures and the words. May we wait on the Lord today and allow Him to move in his time. Thanks for this beautiful WFW post!

SnoWhite said...

Just stunning. Oh, how He blessed you (and us) in that moment!!

The waiting is soooo hard sometimes, but His timing is always perfect and so much better than what we originally yearned for!!

ps... I love Lake Michigan... and that light house :)

Carrie said...

These photos are so beautiful, GG!! Such a lovely WFW post!

I have had seasons in my life where I've "camped out" with the "waiting" verses of scripture. Thanks for the reminders. :)

Have a blessed WFW!

Wanda said...

"A gift I almost missed because of my expectations and impatience." Your post has blessed me this morning especially that line. I don't want to miss what He has for me in my today.

Tayarra said...

I can always count on goose bumps from you. Beautiful pictures and a beautiful message!

Ozjane said...

I love love love that verse in Isaiah that tells us that God only waits to bless us.
We are so ingrained with the negative that we think He is not going to give us the best......But our God is good...Our God is great.
Blessed are those who wait for Him,

Jenny said...

Inspiring and touching.. Such an important message and I appreciate you sharing it with us. God Bless!

BARBIE said...

I love the pictures. The Lord is teaching me a lot about waiting these days. Thank you for sharing!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, what beautiful pictures and wonderful story...and I love the lessons that you taught through this experience....Thank you so much!
Hugs,
Cindy

Stephani Cochran said...

Just hopping over from Word Filled Wednesday. Your blog is great! This is a good reminder for me, because I am in a period of waiting. I posted for WFW on my photo blog. I have 2 blogs. ~ Grace and peace.

Cranberry Morning said...

Beautiful photos!! and a great message. Thanks.

MamaMonki said...

You hit my heart today. I've been struggling some and I needed to be reminded to wait that He has good things in store for my family. Thank you.

I hope it's okay if I mention your blog in my blog today.

Susannah said...

Singing the Halleluhah chorus! A marvellous post with some terrific sunset shots.

When you have a chance, there's an Award waiting for you on my "Christmas in July" party post: http://www.chrysaliscafe.com/2010/07/youre-invited-to-my-christmas-party.html

Congratulations!

Hugs, e-Mom ღ

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

What a fabulous and beautiful post on the beauty of waiting. Your pictures are gorgeous.

Love your blog.

lori said...

Whew! Now call me hormonal, but I've got TEARS in my eyes! What a beautiful message you were shown...a message you've shared here! I'm leaving so blessed by this...I will take it with me on my journey. Beautifully said.

peace girl!
lori

{amy} said...

What beautiful pictures & wonderful scriptures! I must admit that sometimes is so hard to wait, but I'm always so thankful to see God's blessing in the wait!

Denise said...

Awesomely beautiful post.

Whitney said...

Beautiful, and a great reminder.

Karen said...

Wow...I loved this reflection on waiting...I "jump the gun" so many times on things...thanks for the reminder to just...wait...

Faith said...

Enjoyed your post! and love the pics...I am a "naturalist" for my spiritual temperament....so..of course I love all things nature/creation :) thanks for visiting my blog

Amydeanne said...

amen! so very encouraging!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful message! This has been a year where God wants us to wait. Thank you for reminding me of the beautiful in the wait! I especially loved the quote:
"I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'" ~ Lamentations 3:24

Maureen said...

The pictures speaks God's beauty and the scriptures speaks truth to my heart. Thank you so much for sharing this. Jesus bless you!

Anonymous said...

Great message in waiting on the Lord! Beautiful photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails