Monday, October 25, 2010

In Quiet Comes Joy

I breathe deeply as I walk through the quiet of the woods.  Golds, reds and bits of green fill the space with a brilliant beauty.  The cool air washes over me in baptism.  Quiet.  Clean.  Peace.



My toddler is noise.  My boys are full of stories and questions.  My husband needs my help.  The headache that has plagued me for over a week has demanded space in my body and has left my shoulders in knots.  But here in the open space, the quiet reigns.  Its command is soft, but insistent.  Its invitation so welcome.

I am reminded of these words sung by Amy Grant:
     I need a silent night, a holy night
     To hear an angel voice, through the chaos and the noise.
     I need a midnight clear, a little peace right here
     To end this crazy day with a silent night. 

Silence is a gift.  Within the silence is space:  space to breathe, to think, to know, to be, to be loved . . . but mostly to hear.  I need the quiet for rest.  I need the quiet for clarity.  But most of all, I need the quiet to hear the Voice.  So He quiets me.

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love . . . "

Giggles and squeals break the forest silence as my three sugars catch up with me on the trail.  The silence is broken by joy, and theirs is not the only I hear. 

" . . . He will rejoice over you with singing" (Zephaniah 3:17).

In the quiet broken, my spirit sings back.  And I count my blessings.







holy experience


Rejoicing in these blessings #360 - 378:

quiet

followed by joy

sunlight through trees

cool, fresh air

red-headed woodpeckers

Baby Girl loves her daddy

picnics in October

a walk along the river

fall break

a break from the headache

a good first public school report card

a yummy fish fry

good singin'

God still speaks

and sings!

He rejoices over us!  Over me!  Over you!

amazing grace

He created the silence

and He broke it


Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

alison said...

i could use a little silence...and a little joy. thanks for the reminder of both :)

Cranberry Morning said...

Nice post. I love those outdoor quiet times to praise our Creator.

Misty said...

i love how in the quiet is rest and grace so loud it hums. i think that's why he reminds: be still, and often i'm not sure which is harder, being still or the knowing, but there is rest in him. i'm sorry for your headache. i've had them too and they can hamper and crank us a bit, no?
blessings as you rest in his gifts.

Susannah said...

Ah, I'm refreshed just visiting here... slowly... saying... good-bye....

Rebecca said...

Visiting from the gratitude community-and enjoying my journey!

Lovely bits of grace, all.

Sharon said...

Really lovely post. I felt like I was on the walk with you. And I especially loved this one line: "He will quiet you with His love..."

Yes, Lord, - teach me to be still and know that You are God...

GOD BLESS!

Gabe said...

stopping by from Ann's

ahhh silence. . .when I can hear my thoughts. . .

Heres hoping you find some silence soon!

BARBIE said...

This was just what I need today! Love the scriptures you quoted too!

Scott S. said...

Well hope your headache goes away, they can be very crippling and they can make everything else in your day horrible. You know the silence you are talking about in the outdoors is so nice to have and it is better when you can enjoy it with the family around too. I need to do something to provide that for my wife, I think she deserves it.

And once again you come with the positive post for everyone to read.

Unknown said...

A walk in the woods, to be surrounded by His rejoicing, truly a blessing. Beautifully put by your words.

Related Posts with Thumbnails