Thursday, December 30, 2010

Longing for Home

I've been feeling a bit blue these days after Christmas.  I've tried distraction -- focusing on other things.  I've tried planning our summer vacation so I could anticipate something else that was good.  I've counted my gifts with Ann.  While these things helped, it didn't completely take the let-down away. 

I was on my way home from getting groceries the other night when the tears came.  It was a Sara Groves' song that did it, pieces of lyrics from "Every Minute" that gave me permission.

And I can think of time when families all lived together
Four generations in one house
And the table was full of good food
And friends and neighbors . . . .

And I wish all the people I love the most
Could gather in one place
And know each other and love each other well . . .

As she sang these lyrics about longing for more time together with friends and that togetherness of all she loves in one place, I realized that this was the true cause for my sadness.  I'm longing for Heaven -- family and friends gathered together, joy and love expressed so fully, celebrating the One who authored it all.  These are the best parts of Christmas.  And this is Heaven. 



I no longer have to feel bad for having a bit of after-Christmas blues.  It just reminds me what I really long for -- my forever home.

But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.  Philippians 3:20-21, The Message

As I entered the door of my home that night, I heard Baby Girl's running feet as she joyfully announced "Mommy's hooooooooome!"

My heart soars at her exuberant love, and I think of another forever day when we will each hear an even better, and final, version of welcome home.


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

What a precious post. All true believers have that certain longing that never goes away and won't, until we are with our Lord. But we can still have joy here and now in His Kingdom. He didn't leave us alone.

Have a blessed new year.

Carrie said...

Love your thoughts here, GG! I wonder if that's what the verse about God setting eternity in our hearts alludes to? ... just thinking out loud. ;)

I've had some similar thoughts lately, and if you like Sara Groves (I like her, too!), you might also like Audrey Assad. She has a song out called Restless that I've been listening to a lot lately. She and Matt Maher based the chorus on that quote by Augustine about our souls being restless until we find our rest in Him ... beautiful!

Happy New Year, friend! Praying it's a happy one because we're finding our true joy in Him!! ;)

Susannah said...

Sorry you've been feeling blue, sweet friend. :~(

The let down is natural and inevitable, especially if you put a lot of emotional energy into your festivities. Like the ocean tides, our moods ebb and flow. Soon enough, your blues will pass.

Sharon said...

I can think of no better thing in the whole world than to hear my Savior say, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Welcome home!"

The thought of heaven gives me a wistful longing - because my heart has "echoes of Eden" inside. But, my hope assures me that there is a GRAND day coming!

Happy New Year.

GOD BLESS!

Maggie S said...

Mmmm. You are so right.

Anonymous said...

I totally geth this! As I get older, there are days I am homesick - for heaven!

I pray blessings and joy for your New Year!

Lisa said...

I have never thought about it this way before. I have always hated when family events had to end. When Thanksgiving, Christmas, vacation, etc was over. I would always sit and cry because everyone had to go back to school or/and work. Now, I have an answer to why? Thanks!!!

I now have a smile on my face ...

Love your blog ... can't wait to read more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails