Friday, February 5, 2010

Favorite Picture Books

One of my obsessions is books. There aren’t many I don’t like, and I find myself recommending my favorites to friends. So I thought I’d make a few lists of my favorites. I’ll start with children’s picture books and work my way up over time.







The Monster at the End of this Book – Furry lovable old Grover just doesn’t get much better than this.

Moose Tracks by Karma Wilson – A hilarious and surprising rhyming book

Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer – a sweet and funny series, especially if you have a little boy.

Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson – A fun read a-loud with pattern and rhyme and great sounds to explore. One to do over and over. There's more Bear books, but this is the best in my opinion.

My First Little House Books – The pictures are gorgeous and the excerpts from the Little House Series are timeless. A beautiful combination that’s great for younger ones not ready for the chapter books. Any and all of them are good.

Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London – Too funny! My kids loved to read this one with me – before they could read. Great patterns and sounds they can remember.

Hug by Jez Alborough – An almost wordless picture book that tiny tots love to read along with you. Sweet pictures.

You Are My I Love You by Maryann K. Cusimano – Precious poetry, touching illustrations.

The Napping House by Audrey Wood – A delightful book with great pictures – and short enough for wigglers.

The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs – A parable with scripture included that’s perfect reading in the fall. I like the other three in the series too.

A Frog in the Bog by Karma Wilson – A funny, rousing read-aloud with some creative counting included. And a little gross too, which makes it perfect for boys.

Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory by Margaret and H.A. Rey – Perhaps my favorite in the series simply because it includes chocolate, but the books are classic for good reason. My second favorite is probably Curious George Goes Camping.

I Love You the Purplest by Barbara M. Joosse – If your child has ever asked who you love best or competes with his sibling for your attention, read this book. Touching.

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long – A young landlubber goes on an adventure with pirates. Best read good and loud in your finest pirate speak, matey!

Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton -- Hilarious rhyming book of animal sounds. My all-time favorite board book of hers.






(A few others pictured that I really like are Dinosailors, What Are You So Grumpy About? and The Day the Babies Crawled Away. All the books are linked to Amazon for your convenience.)

Feel free to share your favorites.
Happy Reading!



Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

anne graves said...

You have mentioned a few we haven't read yet, but will take a look at our library for them. Thanks! Chris loved loved the Grover book when he was little. We still have his copy, although it is quite a bit worn. :)

MamaMonki said...

We have several of those. Daddy loves reading Davey "The Monster at the End of this Book" We also have several of the Sandra Boynton books - "Snuggle Puppy" and "Pajama Time" are some of our faves of hers. A couple of other fun read alouds are "Llama Llama Red Pajama" that whole series really and Davey loves "The Pout Pout Fish" because of the funny sounds - I love the story in it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails