Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mushy Brain, Big Book

My brain was feeling a bit mushy, so I decided it was time for a challenge. After reading loads of children's books to my kids, I needed something more substantial for my personal time. You know that saying, "Go big or go home"? I decided to go big and picked up a book by C.S. Lewis. Not the Chronicles of Narnia either. Now, I know Lewis isn't the most difficult reading in the world, but after reading Fudge books and repeats of Sandra Boynton board books, it seemed a hard tackle.

I've read a few books by C.S. Lewis, so I know that he's brilliant. He has an amazing knack for apologetics, so when I picked up Till We Have Faces, that's what I was expecting. That's not quite what I got. Till We Have Faces is a rework of the myth of Cupid and Psyche. It takes place in a land called Glome, in a pre-Christian world. It also contains one of the best lines in any book I've read, "I could never be at peace again till I had written . . . I was with book, as a woman is with child."

Faces explores the relationships in family -- the jealousy, the love, the complexities. It explores the soul and probes into motives and truth. And even though it's not as apologetic in nature as Lewis' other books, it still bears truth to a God-centered world -- mainly that it is not until we see God face-to-face that we will truly understand. As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:12, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Here's the kicker. I think my brain is even mushier than before . . . but it's more educated mush.




Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Brigetta Schwaiger said...

I love that line about being pregnant with book. That is a great description of how I feel right now. Thanks for that and for coming by and following along. Nice to meet you.

MamaMonki said...

I have to confess I've never read any books by C.S. Lewis except the Chronicles of Narnia series - but I know what you mean about a mushy brain. I love to read to little man - but right now he only appreciates the touchy feely books. There's really only so many times you can re- read "That's Not my Puppy" or "That's Not my Dragon". Being a teacher though I will muster through. Maybe I'll put C.S. Lewis on my summer reading list.

livinginbetween said...

Transparent Mama, it's nice to meet you too. I think many of us with words inside can relate to that line in Lewis' book. And MamaMonki, you can do it! Break away from your dragons and puppies and go for it! :)

danae said...

well, after our brief exchange via beth's blog, i had to see if you had a blog, too! loving it! and the quote by c.s. lewis on this entry seems apt considering our comments today about writing! loving it! you are a wonderful writer here on your blog. and i'm already enjoying what you have to say.

shine on!
danae<><

livinginbetween said...

Thanks, Danae! I look forward to "seeing" more of you. :) I looked yesterday to see if you had a blog too. Something to consider . . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails