Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eating Rainbows

A long time ago in a land far away, a teenaged boy was kidnapped and taken from his homeland to live as a slave in a foreign country. After six long years, he managed to escape by walking two hundred miles where he found a ship and sailed home to his family.

And then, strangely, he went back to his captors.

Christ will do that to a person -- cause you to do things others find strange.

Patrick is now known as the patron saint of Ireland for his work as a missionary to that country. He took a people who were at the whims of the gods of nature and their druids, who even practiced human sacrifice, and showed them the way to their Creator and Savior. He was just one of several missionaries in Ireland at that time, but he is long remembered for the work he did there.

All this I learned as an adult while reading a picture book to my kids. I'm neither Irish nor Catholic so when I was younger, St. Patrick's Day was only about wearing green to avoid the mean kid who was sure to pinch you -- hard! Now, I try to teach my kiddos about the mission-minded man and the God who directed him.

This year to celebrate, we baked these fun cupcakes. I'm sharing the idea with you today in case you want to do the same.



I got the idea from Family Fun Magazine, a favorite of mine, and you can go to my Recipe Box if you're interested in learning how to make them.

There's no pot of gold at the end of these rainbows (maybe a pot belly if you eat too many).  May your treasure be this instead from the third chapter of Proverbs:

Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,
for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.
She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor. 


Tomorrow wear some green and maybe eat a rainbow.  Have a little fun.


And God be with you!




Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

MamaMonki said...

Those cupcakes are beautiful. Were you by any chance reading the Tomi dePaola book about Saint Patrick?

livinginbetween said...

It's been quite awhile ago since I read the book, but that may have been the one. :)

fingerprints said...

Do you do Sonlight? As I'm reading some of your posts, it sounds like Sonlight material.

JD
PS - Maybe I haven't read enough, but why does your son "have" to go to school? Just curious. :)

livinginbetween said...

JD, we do use Sonlight -- love it greatly! The read-alouds and readers are my favorite part. Such quality books.

We feel we are following God's leading in starting public school with our oldest. We've built a foundation (and continue to build upon in with morning Bible study among other things), but we feel led to begin a new journey of faith. We've enjoyed our time so much at home, but we are trying to be obedient in all things! If you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to contact me at SugarTails (at) gmail (dot) com (there's a link on my site). Or link your email to blogger, and I can respond to you personally! So great to meet you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails