Monday, March 29, 2010

Your Words, My Treasure

My Bible is lighter.  So is my spirit.  I just emptied the Word of treasures and reread them slowly.


These lovely jewels have been tucked away in my favorite book.  I am a card-keeper.  Oh, not all cards. But the ones that mean much to me. Some of these cards I had hidden in my Bible so that I could carry them closely. 

There is a birthday card from my grandma who passed away years ago.  It was the last one I received from her, and it wasn't even in her hand.  She asked my mom to write for her because her hands were too swollen.  She died a few days later.

It has resided alongside a much more recent card from my Pocahontas . . . a card written to let me know what I mean to her.  Priceless to me.

There are many more that I've sheltered between the pages of the Ultimate Letter . . . precious words tucked between Living Words.  But it's time to move them to a new home -- the larger treasure chest in my bedroom where I keep very special things.  It holds the stockings my mom made for us to hang at Christmas; the quilts from a great-grandmother that I'm not currently displaying; my boys' tiniest baby clothes.  Plus many other cards and letters too dear to me to let go of:  love letters from my husband, cards with encouraging words from friends and family over the years.  Words that have reminded me I am loved, have helped me to press on, to continue doing right, to persevere.  And every time I peer into the chest, it's an opening of gifts and memories and encouragement.  Treasures.

In this day of quick comments and Facebook updates that are easy and helpful in their own way (but not nearly so lasting), please let me give you a little nudge.  May I gently push you in the direction of that desk that holds your pretty paper and your favorite writing pen?  Your words just may be "apples of gold in settings of silver" to someone.    

Write riches to one you love or to one who could use some encouragement.  Write your heart for them to drink in with their eyes, hold in their hands, and tuck away to treasure again and again.


Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

MamaMonki said...

How right you are. When I've hit my lowest points - Steve and I's journey to have a baby and the death of my dad - it's been a letter or a card from someone completely unexpected that has lifted me up and reminded me that I am loved.

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

You are so write about taking the time to actually write a real snail mail letter. They mean so much and truly are treasures. GREAT post!

Courtney
http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Oops - I spelled the word "right" wrong!!! haha!

rachelw said...

You are so right! I have a book that I keep all the notes of encouragement that people in our church have given us over the years. On those days when I'm feeling down, I pull it out and remember how loved we are.

Thanks for the reminder to get my pen and paper out to send a note to someone. It means so much!

Agnes said...

Hey, stopping by from SITS.
I am a card keeper too, I love read time to time all the cards I have and remember the wonderful moments I've had together with those people.

Enjoy Your Tuesday!
xoxo
AgyTalks

Dumb Mom said...

I love handwritten cards. I collect stationary (that I forget to send out to people) and I love reading all of the notes my mom sent me back when I was away at college.

In unrelated news, I LOVE your header...SO CUTE!

Lizzie said...

Wow, once again so familiar! I just dragged a trunk out of my closet with all my journals in it from the last 10 years. In them are many, many cards that my Mom has sent me and I had tucked them all in the pages of my life as I wrote it. I can't bear to part with them.
My Mom is an old school letter writer and there is nothing I like more than putting pen to paper.
Have a wonderful day!

partialemptynester said...

Loove checking the mail for "fun" mail, instead of "junk" mail! I'm a card saver, too, and am soo glad I've saved so many signed cards from grandparents. I love to look at their signatures...the story of your grandmother's last card is so sweet, now that card's a keeper, for sure!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I love love love handwritten cards. It's so nice to be able to read them and look back over them later.

Unknown said...

I agree 100% Like you the Facebook updates are nice, but they don't compare to the feeling of holding that written piece of paper/card in your hand. I too have several letters and cards that I keep in my Bible; one written by a dear friend I lost to cancer last year is particularly special.

Misty said...

Such a great reminder. Thank you. And thanks for stopping by! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails