Friday, March 26, 2010

What Brings You Home? (Friendly Friday)

For several years my husband, children and I lived away from our family.  We were able to visit, but not as often as we liked.  Now, we're just a stone's throw away.  I have a house and home of my own that I love and wouldn't trade for the world.  Yet, every time I step through the door of my parent's home, it's like stepping through the door of my childhood and into comfort and warmth and memories. 

the quilt

the mirror

the mantle



the candy dish

These pieces of personal history fill my eyes and heart with beauty . . . and bring me home.

It's Friendly Friday.  I ask; you answer.  (And I've really been loving your answers!)

What brings you home?
I really want to know.


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

What brings me home.... smells...my sister's voice....swimming in my parent's pool.

Have a great weekend!

Becoming a follower!

Lizzie said...

What a wonderful post. I so miss the old homestead. It got to be too much for my folks to keep up so they sold it about 10 years ago. I videoed the entire place at the goodbye party. But their new home is now 10 years old and all the old things are there that I love and cherish. My Mom has a real gift, anywhere she is, is HOME to me.

partialemptynester said...

OMGosh, smells!!! I love going over to my mom's on a Sunday afternoon and smelling the roast carrots and potatoes in the crockpot!! Mmmm!

Rachel Cotterill said...

There are a few places that feel like home to me... usually arriving into a given town/village more so than an actual house, for some reason. e.g. arriving on the train into Oxford always feels like coming home (even though I don't live there any more!)

Baby Sweetness said...

oh man, it's true. I walk into my parents home and I regress 20 years!

Hmm - so to answer - the perfume my grandma wore (jean nate (sp)) and the stuff my mom wore when I was little. Chocolate covered graham crackers in the fridge where Grandma used to keep them and Bubble Yum like my other Grandma gave us.

a new beginning said...

my parents have moved a lot--and home is always wherever they are. i have noticed that i've never been bothered by their new homes--my mom has the touch to make any house their home. i loved your idea of taking the pics of things that remind you of their home. great idea.

Rachel said...

ok, so it's not Friday anymore, but I just love this post! Because our family moved from Indiana to Florida when I was 12, a lot of those childhood things were replaced with our new home. BUT...Christmas time is the one thing that was always unchanged. Every time I'd pull out those ornaments I felt as though I was in second grade again.

Also, visiting grandma's house is one big walk down memory lane. How is it the grandma's homes NEVER change? Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails